Information Technology Director / cybersecurity, virtualization and networking - Photographer / travel, landscape and street
Security and service focused Information Technology Director for amfAR, one of the world’s leading nonprofit organizations dedicated to HIV/AIDS research. Responsible for the Foundation's information infrastructure including three office locations, co-location data center, cloud infrastructure and help desk team. Strong focus on service delivery, infrastructure resilience, information security and risk management.
Other great organizations I’ve worked for include The Cancer Research Institute, Jacobson Consulting Applications, The City University of New York, Baruch College and The Research Foundation of CUNY.
Extremely passionate about technology and always looking for ways to meet and improve business needs. As a manager, I try to inspire and understand each team members passions. My goal is to help them grow in their roles and to plan for a future in technology.
• Cybersecurity / IT Security
• Backup and Disaster Recovery
• Cloud Integration
• Event Technology
• Help Desk Management
Cybersecurity MicroMasters 2018 RITx/edX
Director of Information Technology
amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research
Jun 2008 – Present
Currently working in a dual role as the Director of Information Technology and Network Engineer. Responsible for strategic direction, design, management, support, and implementation for amfAR’s technology infrastructure including the Foundation’s datacenter and 3 office locations (NY, DC and Bangkok). amfAR’s infrastructure is a Windows Server and Nutanix/VMware vSphere environment with on premise Exchange, Citrix PS and XenDesktop. Work with all Foundation teams to enhance current technologies and improve client services. Communicate with management on information technology needs. Manage the on the ground event IT support for amfAR's global fundraising events. Manage the Foundation’s Help Desk department personnel.
• Increase scalability, fault tolerance and system reliability through virtualizing and hybrid cloud while lowering management overhead.
• Designed and implemented Active Directory, networking, storage and security infrastructure consisting of 3 locations, 110 users, 170 computers and a data center that includes over 60 servers.
• Redesigned our event technology services to support new event technology needs.
• Implemented on premise and cloud-based DR and backup solutions.
• Successfully deployed ShoreTel VoIP system throughout entire organization resulting in significant communication maintenance costs.
• Developed and implemented the foundations cybersecurity risk assessment and response plan and security and monitoring framework.
Manager Information Technology
amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research
Jan 2005 – May 2008
Responsible for network connectivity, implementation, integration, and troubleshooting of servers, routers, firewall, Citrix, VPN, VMware, SAN, printers, and scanners. Manage the Foundation’s Help Desk department personnel.
• Implemented network monitoring, security, threat detection and protection methods.
• Reorganized the department to meets the objectives and guidelines defined in the SLA.
Information Technology Manager
Cancer Research Institute
Sep 1996 – Jan 2005
Managed CRI’s network, fundraising, grants and financial databases. Supervised 2 data entry personnel. Webmaster all CRI sites. Manage CRI’s direct mail solicitations including constituent mining, selection and campaign monitoring. Maintain fiscal discipline of IT department budget by maximizing available resources and utilizing outside funding sources including grants and donations.
• Migration of all of CRI’s core databases (Financial, Fundraising and Grants Management) to Blackbaud’s Accounting for Non-Profits, Raiser’s Edge and Gifts for Windows including data conversion, code development, training and report writing.
• Upgraded the Foundation’s website.
• Migrated from a Novell to Microsoft AD based network.